Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Vegan Pumpkin Biscuits

Who says that pumpkin season is only during fall? I was so happy when I went to the grocery store and I found pureed pumpkin! Although I will admit that they are a little bit pricey compared to when you buy them during the holiday season, it was so worth it! As you may have noticed, I am a pumpkin lover - pie, ice cream, latte, tea, bread... you name it, I will eat it! My car scent is even pumpkin spice right now (o^ ^o) ♪

As you may have noticed, I love carbs - I can eat it almost everyday (in moderation of course) Especially biscuits...they are so good! One of my favorite kind of biscuits is from Lucille's... if you have not tried it, I would advise you to go and try it! It is absolutely heavenly; however, I know that I need to limit my visits at Lucille's because who knows what's inside their biscuits! It tastes good but if I eat it all the time, there is going to be a lot of cholesterol clogging my arteries. That's when I came across this site, that gave me inspiration to bake vegan pumpkin biscuits!

I used the recipe from Opera Singer in the Kitchen's Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Biscuits with some little changes in the recipe (:






Servings: 21 biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (my modification) 
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder 
  • 2 Tablespoon brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (my modification) 
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil  (my modification) 
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree 
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (my modification) 
  • 2 Tablespoon agave syrup 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. (You may wish to add pumpkin spice or nutmeg also!) 
  • In a medium bowl, combine the pureed pumpkin, soy milk, and agave syrup. 
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until mixture starts to hold together. (You may need to add more flour if it's too sticky - I would say just eye-ball it to see what you think is right) 
  • Once it starts to form a dough-like texture, place it on a floured cutting board and knead lightly. 
  • Using your hand, get the dough and roll it in your hands in a round shape. 
  • Once you place the dough on a baking sheet (oiled or with parchment paper), using your palm, flat out the dough.
    ** I used this method because I didn't have the right sized round cookie cutter (: 
  • Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the bottom of the biscuit is golden brown.
When you see the biscuits out of the oven, I will say that it will not look like your average biscuits; of course because it's vegan - it won't give you the similar look, but once you taste it, it is absolutely fluffy and filled with that pumpkin taste. 
After I got them out of the oven, I cut the biscuits in half so that it will be easier for me to later toast it as well as to let me put some honey or peanut butter!





After I flattened the dough


Once they are out from the oven - they fluff out more like an actual roll 


Now they look like biscuits (: with a drizzle of honey!

What I love about this recipe is that not only that it's vegan, but it's an actually healthier vegan food. I added minimal amount of sugar, used vegetable oil instead of using any other butter-replacements! You may use applesauce instead of vegetable oil also if you wish. The thing about this recipe is that the pureed pumpkin is the key to give that moist to the biscuits. I love it.
Eating these biscuits with my morning coffee was absolutely blissful. What a wonderful way to start my day!

With that being said, from my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles,
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment