Thursday, June 5, 2014

Birthday-Themed Chocolate Rolls

I am just in love with any type of rolls - cinnamon rolls, cheesey garlic rolls, sweet rolls, pizza rolls, you name it and I will eat it! For this particular one, the reason why I picked chocolate rolls is because my coworker gave me some Easter Rabbit chocolate (you know what I'm talking about, it's one of those big huge chunk of chocolate that's shaped like a rabbit!) Since I wasn't in a mood to eat the whole rabbit, I wanted to utilize the deliciously cute chocolate rabbit where I can share it with others without being super messy. Then, I thought...if I crush the chocolate, it would be a perfect filling for my rolls! The reason behind the rainbow sprinkles is because #1, sprinkles make your life filled with joy - I mean, look at how cute and happy it looks? I know that it's a clump of sugar and artificial food coloring, but sometimes, it's ok to like the "not so good for you" foods (:  #2, it was one of my coworker's birthday and I wanted to make him something festive (o^^o)

Did I also mention that there's no yeast? NO YEAST - there, I said it. But it still creates that soft bread-like texture which I love about this recipe. Sometimes, when I use yeast, I have to wait for it to rise, and sometimes, I just don't have the patience to do that. So this is an easy go-to recipe if you are in a hurry and need to whip out something quick (:





Servings: 13 chocolate rolls

Ingredients: 

  • 2 1/2 cups flour 
  • 2 Tablespoon sugar 
  • 4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil 
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk 
Filling: 
  • 1 cup chopped chocolate (I used milk chocolate for this one) 
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil 
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
Glaze: 
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar 
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened soy milk 
  • Rainbow sprinkles 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • In a small bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, vegetable oil, and ground cinnamon. This will be your filling. 
  • In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 
  • Then add the vegetable oils and whisk until well combined. 
  • Stir in the soy milk in about 2-3 increments. (You may need to use your hands to stir it - it's actually a lot easier!) 
  • Roll out the dough on a floured surface (I used my cutting board) until about 1/4 inch. 
  • Once the dough is nicely rolled out, spread the filling throughout the entire dough. 
  • Now gently roll the dough and using a sharp knife, slice the dough in about an inch thick. 
  • After greasing the baking pan, gently place all of the rolls. 
  • Before placing them in the oven, pour some of the glaze, followed by rainbow sprinkles. 
  • Bake for about 15-20 minutes. 
  • Once you take them out of the oven, pour a little bit more of the glaze while the rolls are nice and hot. 







Freshly out of the oven!

Yummy and ready to eat (: 

This is the same recipe that I use for my vegan cinnamon rolls. Of course, this one was not vegan since I put some chocolate chunks inside which has dairy. But can we just look at how the sprinkles really create this poppy color for a plain chocolate rolls? That's why I think presentation is so important when it comes to baking. I mean, you don't have to make an exquisite chocolate rolls but a hint of color creates that fun and inviting looking deliciousness filled with gooey melted chocolate (: I'm drooling just thinking about it!

With that being said, before I start getting another urge of baking these yummies without any reason... from my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles,
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment