Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sugar Free Lemon Drops w/White Chocolate Chips

One time my coworker baked these amazing lemon drop cookies. And she told me that she got the recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research, which is a great organization where they focus on researching on the link between diet and cancer and to translate the results into practical information for the public. They publish these great recipes where it is approved by Registered Dietitian and other professionals to be available to the public!

As usual, since this blog does not use butter, I utilized this recipe and change it NBB appropriate (: I also used Sucralose instead of sugar because that's how my coworker changed up the recipe for some her her diabetic friends and it actually tasted very good!

**Just an important notice: I did use white chocolate chips as the topping of the cookies. These were NOT sugar free so if you are diabetic, and need to use sugar-free chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, please do so.





Servings: 18 cookies

Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 2 Tablespoon cold water 
  • 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil (my modification) 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1/2 cup Sucralose (my modification) **Sucralose is an artificial sweetener often times used in Splenda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 small lemon 
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips (my changes -- the white chocolate chips are NOT sugar-free) 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • Oil the baking sheet or cover with parchment paper and set aside. 
  • In a medium bowl, whisk the two flours and baking powder. 
  • In another bowl, add some lemon zest, lemon juice, and cold water and mix them together. 
  • In the same bowl, add the vegetable oil, egg, sucralose, and salt and whisk them all together until it's smooth. 
  • Pour the lemon mixture over the dry ingredients in about 2-3 increments and whisk until they are well combined. 
  • Using your hands, round the cookies and place them on the baking sheet. 
  • Bake for about 5 minutes, then rotate the pan in the reverse position in the oven. 
  • Once the bottom of the cookies are golden brown, take them out from the oven.
    ** For my case, the white chocolates began to brown at the top and that's when I noticed that it was ready. 









Look how the white chocolate chips are nice and toasted! YUM!

What I like about this recipe is that they used half white flour and half wheat flour. I think using a little bit of both really helps the flours to blend in. This is just my opinion but whenever I bake using only wheat flour, the cookies end up being too flakey, hard, and it gives that distinct wheat smell. So this is the perfect amount of both type of flour! 

And remember, if you are or know someone who is pre-diabetic or diabetic, and you want to refrain from using real sugar, please replace the chocolate chips with a sugar-free kind (: 

With that being said, from my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking! 

Smiles, 
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment