Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies

I love how many people in this country love love to celebrate or have a party. I think it just brings a lot of excitement and something to look forward to! Growing up, I never was aware of any Mexican desserts. Even now, I can only think of not even a handful of desserts: flan, torta de tres leches (tres leches cake), dessert empanadas...are the only ones that I'm aware of which was kind of sad! So in spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I'm hoping that I can learn other Mexican desserts in the near future!

So, the story behind the vegan Mexican wedding cookies is that one day, I noticed that every holiday, I see these "powdered sugar ball cookies" so one holiday season I baked some and then my friend, who is a true Latina told me that it's a Mexican Wedding Cookie which got me so excited. Now I don't have to call them "powdered sugar ball cookies"! I also read that some people call them Mexican Wedding "Cakes" instead of cookies but they're cookies. I'm sure there's deeper history behind these lovely cookies but the point is, they're absolutely delicious!





Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies 
Servings: 20 cookies

Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk 
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 3/4 cups chopped walnuts 
  • Powdered sugar for coating 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat the oven at 400°F
  • In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil, soy milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract using a whisk or an electric mixer. (I prefer a whisk!) 
  • In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt until well combined. 
  • Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture using a whisk. 
  • Add in the chopped walnuts. 
  • Using your hand, roll the cookies into a round shape. 
  • Place cookies on a parchment paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown. 
  • Once you cool the cookies on a cooling rack, while the cookies are warm, roll the cookies into powdered sugar. 



So you might be thinking... how are you going to make these classic Mexican Wedding Cookies without butter? You'd be surprised! I won't say it's the same - but it has very similar consistency where it's crispy and hard. And guess what, my friend approves it! That's all that matters for me at least (: 

I hope everyone have a wonderful and safe cinco de mayo! 
Be responsible! 

From my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking! 

Smiles, 
Mei 



3 comments:

  1. Hmm! These seem to ne yummy. We also ordered different flavors for souvenirs and favors at my sister's engagement. One of the best NYC wedding venues was hired with beautiful surroundings and lavish barn furniture. Atmosphere was comfortable for all guests and white red blooming flowers looked fabulous. Everyone appreciated the food quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A business has posted a spam comment to this blog post. The link in the comment goes to a website that submits over 100 comments per day to blogspot sites with a link to their site as an opportunity to make their site look more popular to search engines like google. If you read the comment and look at the link they inserted, you will notice it is not helpful to your readers and it doesn't even make sense to be linked other than for their own business needs. If you would like to mark it as spam to prevent them from using you, follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/187141?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later
    how to increase milk supply

    ReplyDelete