Thursday, April 9, 2015

Ordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies

How about a day of the ordinary?
I decided to go classic with an ordinary chocolate chip cookies recipe today :)
Chocolate chip cookies can be desserts, an after-school snack, or a friendly treat to give to your neighbors and friends! Speaking of neighbors, I've always imagined how great it would be to live in a world where you can be close with your neighbors, check up on each other, bring them cookies and have a cup of tea...etc. I always hear from my older friends that this "world" that I am imagining existed when they were growing up. I really envy that. I think right now, we live in a world where your neighbors are strangers. Or even worse, we're worried that our neighbors will do bad things to us if we get too close to them. There's a lack of compassion in our society where we're constantly fearing other people, and just simply don't have the genuine relationships with one another. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are definitely places in the world where that still exist (and good for them!) I just wish that I will have a chance to be exposed to an environment like this in the future.



Ordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies
Servings: 18 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 

Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven at 350°F
  • In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. 
  • Ina large bowl, combine the vegetable oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. 
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients using a rubber spatula until fully mixed. 
  • Gently fold the chocolate chips. 
  • Take about 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll them into small balls and slightly flatten them before placing on baking sheet. 
  • Bake for about 10-12 minutes. 
  • Place them on a cooling rack and enjoy! 

Does this recipe look familiar? It's because it's the same recipe as the Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies that I've previously posted :) What's interesting is that instead of the 1/3 cups of cocoa powder, I just swapped it to 1/3 cups of all purpose flour, which made the cookies not so very chewy. Isn't it funny how you swap one ingredient and the consistency of the entire cookie completely change! That's why I truly believe that baking is a form of art. The way you whisk your dry ingredients, the way you combine your dry and wet ingredients, and the amount of each ingredients change the final product entirely.

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much I enjoyed baking/eating them!

From my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles,
Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment