Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Coconut Banana Bread

The reason behind this recipe can simply be described with one word: Leftovers. There was a time where I used coconut flakes for another baking project and I ended up with so many leftover coconut flakes. Since my family is not a big coconut fan, I never really used coconuts for my baking. As I was browsing inside the fridge, I saw two bags of coconut flakes so I thought...maybe it's time to use it before I spoil them... It's really funny what you come up with when you're trying to clean up around your fridge! It's a win-win situation because 1) you get a delicious treat and 2) you can prevent yourself from spoiling food!


 I never really thought of a combination of bananas and coconuts but then again, they are both in the tropical fruit group so I guess it works out!



Servings: 9-10 slices

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup sugar 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 ripped banana
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes (I used sweetened ones from my leftovers!) 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and ground cinnamon. 
  • In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients: eggs, vegetable oil, plain yogurt, and vanilla extract.
  • using a cutting board mash the ripped bananas using a back of a fork. Place the mashed bananas in the wet ingredients and mix it well using a whisk. 
  • Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients. Once the ingredients are well-mixed, pour the coconut flakes and gently fold the batter.
    **Make sure you don't over-mix the batter!**
  • Pour the batter in a bread pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until the inside is completely baked.
    **I use toothpicks to make sure that the inside is properly baked. If the toothpick comes out smoothly, it means your bread is perfectly baked! 
  • Use a cooling rack until the bread is completely cooled. It's much easier to cut the bread into slices this way! 
The loaf right out from the oven - do you see the two toothpick pokes? (:

For my coworkers, I cut one slice into half so that it's smaller portion
So I used my "basic" banana bread recipe and simply just added the coconut flakes and reduced the amount of sugar. That's what I really love about this recipe because if I want to add something or make a different type of banana bread, I can just alter some ingredients and transform a regular banana bread to something slightly different (:

The banana bread turned out so delicious and fluffy. Usually whenever I eat a banana bread that is store-bought, it's too dense for me but this one is the perfect amount of fluff (not too much, not too little), which I absolutely love.
Maybe next time I will add some chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips. I think it will enhance the flavor even more. I love home-baking because there are endless possibilities in your creations. It's so much fun!

Well, with that being said, from my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles,
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment