Thursday, January 15, 2015

Lemon Muffins with Lemon Glaze

When I think of lemons, it reminds me of the time when my sister used to enjoy nibbling on a lemon wedge when she was a little girl. I don't remember this but I constantly hear this story from my family - one time at a restaurant, my sister was nibbling on a lemon wedge (no sugar, no added flavor!). Since she was eating the lemon so pleasantly, this little boy who was sitting in the booth next to us begged his mom that he wanted to eat a lemon wedge as well. Apparently, the mother warned him that it's going to be very sour. Obviously, he didn't listen and took a huge bite of the lemon. The result? He started crying because it was sour (just like his mom warned him - so listen to your mom!) The mom said "I told you so!" but he was upset, pointing at my sister saying, "But hers look so good!!" because my sister was minding her own business eating her "delicious" lemon. That story is always a fun one to bring it up especially when we're at a restaurant that serves water with lemon wedges!

When it comes to lemons, you either love it or hate it. For me, that sour taste gives that particular flavor and scent of lemon that I absolutely love. Especially when I bake, I try to make sure that flavor and aroma is still contained within the baked goods - it's my biggest pet peeve when extracts, sugar, and "other" ingredients ruins the natural flavor of certain ingredients.





Lemon Muffins with Lemon Glaze 
Servings: 12 muffins


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
  • Lemon zest (about half a lemon) 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk 

Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1 lemon - juiced 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar 

Glaze Instructions: 
  • Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar. If you prefer a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar. 

Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place cupcake liners in a 12 muffin pan. 
  • In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. 
  • In a large bowl, mix vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and soy milk. 
  • Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold them gently using a rubber spatula. 
  • Divide the batter into 12 muffin pans and bake for about 10-15 minutes. 
  • Use a toothpick to ensure that the muffins are baked thoroughly. 
  • While the muffins are warm, pour the glaze over the muffins. 
  • Cool, and enjoy! 




Whenever I bake, I always get full of excitement when I get to use produce that was made at my friend's garden or home. It's something about homegrown fruits and vegetables that gives me the hype to bake something meaningful and delicious! 

With that being said, I encourage readers to garden or use homegrown produce for potential dessert ingredients :) 

From my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking! 

Smiles, 
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment