Thursday, September 25, 2014

Vegan Chocolate Pie

Hello everyone! It's been a while - I am very sorry about the delay on my recipe posts... Things have been very crazy with work and my life in general, but now I have some time to get back on my NBB recipe grind! (: I am sure I mentioned this to my previous vegan posts but I am very interested in vegan baking. Although I do not follow a restricted vegan diet, I am interested in the concept of not using animal products when baking. It's kind of going out of my baking comfort zone and I really enjoy that.






What I absolutely love about this recipe is that the filling is the same filling I used for the chocolate cream puffs recipe. You can see the filling recipe here!

Now, let's start with the crust.

I actually got the idea of this recipe from a website that I absolutely love. It's called Food 52, using their Perfect Vegan Pie Crust recipe.
When I say I get the idea from certain recipes, it means that I typically change some of the ingredients, and sometimes even the measurements. This results due to either I just don't have the ingredients that they suggest, or I think that it's necessary or unnecessary based on my past baking experiences.

Ingredients: 
Vegan pie crust 

  • 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (my changes)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (my changes)
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar 
  • 1/2 cup ice water 
Instructions: 
  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, and sugar. 
  • Add the vegetable oil and soy milk. 
  • Pour the ice water in about 2 increments until the dough is settled. (If you need to add more water, please do so) 
  • Once you get the doughy texture for the crust, shape the dough into a ball, and place it on a floured cutting board. 
  • Grease some vegetable oil (about 1/2 Tablespoon) on a pie pan. 
  • Roll your dough into a round shape and gently place it on a pie pan. Make sure you spread the dough all the way through the pie pan. 
  • Using a fork, poke a few holes on the pie crust. 
  • Put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the pie crust is completely baked.
    **Make sure to not over-bake the pie crust
  • Cool the pie crust before proceeding to the next step!


Now that you have seen the instructions of the filling here, you are ready to actually complete the pie. 

Vegan Chocolate Pie 
Instructions: 
  • Pour the chocolate filling into the vegan pie crust
  • Refrigerate it overnight. 
That's it! Now you can cut it, and the filling will solidify overnight. 
It's such an easy recipe - this is my go-to recipe when I just don't know what to bring to the next tea party or a gatherings. 




Doesn't this slice want to just make you drool? It tastes so GREAT with my morning Americano (:

What I really like about this recipe is that I was able to utilize a recipe that I used on my previous post! I think it's neat that you can make the same thing, but based on how you change the presentation or the format of the dessert, it becomes a completely different dessert. My chocolate cream puffs transformed into a decadent vegan chocolate pie and vice versa!

When it comes to vegan food, there's always a misconception that ALL vegan food or products are "healthy", which is absolutely wrong. If you carefully read food labels, you can see that some vegan products are packed with unnecessary amounts of sugar, salt, and oil. Just because a product does not use animal fats or animal products, it does NOT mean that it is healthy. The best thing is to bake or cook something yourself, knowing that you can control how much ingredients you put into your final product and/or carefully read food labels. Don't rely on the cover of a box - because it is all a marketing strategy to make consumers purchase products based on what it says on the front cover. As consumers, we need to be smart and be aware of what we put inside our bodies (:

That's my health educator in me that came up - which you will often times see when you read my blog (:

With that being said, from my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles,
Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment