Monday, March 24, 2014

Lemon Cream Puffs

You've seen my chocolate cream puffs recipe - did I tell you that I made lemon cream filled cream puffs as well?

The recipe for the cream puff shells is the same as the chocolate cream puff recipe. You can look at the Cream Puff Shells recipe here.

This post will cover only the ingredients and recipe for the lemon cream filling.




Servings: Fills 14 cream puff shells

Ingredients:

Lemon Cream Filling
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 1/4 cup corn starch (I used katakuri powder aka 片栗粉, which is a type of starch you get from a plant)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 egg yolk 
  • 3/4 cup water 
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice 
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (I used canola oil) 
Instructions: 
  • In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn starch, and salt and mix well. 
  • beat in the egg yolk and water and mix well. 
  • Whisk the egg yolk and water mixture in the saucepan. 
  • Cook liquid over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until thickened.
    (First it will be clumpy - but as you mix it, it will be thickened) 
  • Once it is thickened, remove from heat and add the lemon juice and vegetable oil. 
  • Cool the cream filling before you pipe it into the cream puffs. 
Important note: It is important NOT to over cook the cream. If it is overcooked, the cream will become gelatinous instead of creamy, which is something you want to avoid.  


Here's a picture of both - my lemon cream cream puffs and the chocolate cream puffs (: It was just convenient to bake two kind! 

To be honest, this was a trial cream puff recipe because I wasn't entirely confident that I will be ale to make cream puffs without butter - but it turned out that I can! And my taste testers agreed that it tastes no different than a regular cream puff (:

Well, with that being said, thank you for your time reading my blog!

From my kitchen to yours, Happy Baking!

Smiles, 
Mei 

No comments:

Post a Comment